"The New Testament identifies the office of deacon with the Greek word diakonos, from which the English “deacon” is derived. The Greek word is variously interpreted as “servant, minister, writer, attendant” and in Christian circles has acquired the specialized meaning now attached to “deacon.”"
"The work of deacons involves a wide range of services for the church, including:
1. Assistance at Services and Meetings
2. Visitation of Members
3. Preparation for Baptismal Services
4. Assistance at Communion Service
5. Care of the Sick and Aiding the Poor and Unfortunate
6. Care and Maintenance of Property"
- Paraphrase from the Seventh-day Adventist Church Manual, 19th Edition, pgs. 77, 79